Traffic Interchange: I-10 at SR-90
The project reconstructed the Interstate-10/State Route 90 (I-10/SR-90) traffic interchange overpass structures. Improvements were made to SR-90 under I-10, approximately 3.26 miles of I-10 mainline, and three local access roads. Additional improvements included new interstate access ramps in both directions of travel, drainage improvements, street lighting, utility relocations, signing and marking, and other related work.
The SR-90 traffic interchange provides access and mobility to the local community of Benson and also serves as a gateway to several national attractions within the San Pedro River Valley. The new interchange and realignment of I-10 improved safety for vehicular travel through the area. In addition, the improved frontage roads, access ramps, and traffic signals accommodate future growth and development.
This project was completed ahead of schedule and under budget.
Location: City of Benson, Cochise County, Arizona
Construction Cost: $30.4 M
Owner: Arizona Department of Transportation
Project Delivery: DBB
Scope: (2) new I-10 bridges crossing SR-90, soil nailed concrete retaining walls, Portland cement concrete paving (PCCP), and architectural treatments incorporated into concrete retaining walls, abutments, and pier columns
“Borderland’s innovation and quality control was not the only outstanding observation, as their spirit of cooperation was the best that we have ever experienced with a contractor. We would enthusiastically welcome another partnership working with Borderland Construction on future projects.”
URS CORPORATION (JODY RODRIGUEZ, PE; DAVID PERROTTI, PE; ANTHONY HANNA)
- (2) new I-10 bridges crossing SR-90
- Eastbound bridge is 63’ wide and 155’ long (two-spans of AASHTO Type III pre-cast/pre-stressed girders) and included three travel lanes with paved shoulders on each side
- Westbound bridge is 75’ wide and 155’ long (two-spans of AASHTO Type III pre-cast/pre-stressed girders) and included four travel lanes with paved shoulders on each side
- (2) new signalized traffic intersections (access ramp intersections with State Route 90)
- Multiple drainage improvements including graded channels, rip-rap bank protection, reinforced concrete pipes (RCP), and reinforced concrete box culverts (RCBC)
- Soil nailed concrete retaining walls
- New Portland Cement Concrete Paving (PCCP)
- Architectural treatments incorporated into concrete retaining walls, bridge abutments, and bridge piers
- Street Lightning
- Maintenance of traffic during construction