Sunset Road: Silverbell to Interstate-10
The project includes a new three-lane arterial roadway between Silverbell Road and Interstate-10 (I-10)(just over 1/2 mile in length), including a new bridge over the Santa Cruz River. Other improvements include the construction of a new intersection of Sunset Road at Silverbell Road, paved shoulders, shared-use path, asphaltic concrete sidewalk, drainage improvements, low-maintenance landscaping, and irrigation.
Location: Pima County, Arizona
Initial Bid: $8.3 M
Owner: Pima County DOT
Project Delivery: DBB
Scope: 0.6 miles of new roadway, new Santa Cruz River bridge, signalized intersection, drainage culverts, paved shoulders, sidewalk, shared-use pathway, landscaping, and irrigation
The project provides an additional crossing of the Santa Cruz River and improved east-west mobility for regional traffic between the northwest side of metropolitan Tucson and I-10.
- New three-lane Sunset Road bridge crossing the Santa Cruz River
- The bridge is 64’ wide and 724’ long (six-spans of AASHTO Type V Modified pre-cast/pre-stressed girders)
- Bridge structure accommodates existing and future-use utilities
- New signalized traffic intersection (Sunset Road at Silverbell Road)
- 2600 Square Feet of new retaining walls
- Multiple drainage improvements including graded channels, rip-rap bank protection, and reinforced concrete pipes (RCP).
- Wildlife fencing
- Various underground utility relocations/installations, including Tucson Electric Power distribution facilities